Younger Division ages 8 – 13
(revised February 13, 2018)
Violin, Viola, Cello, Bass, Piano
The Young Division is open to students ages 8 – 13. Classes include private lessons, chamber ensembles, orchestral studies, master classes, music theory, on-campus performances, and concerts on off-campus locations and art. Our goal is to inspire and guide students to a higher performance level. We encourage students to come prepared with a repertoire of their choice if they want to participate in solo performances at the start of the Institute. We provide piano accompaniment.
Designed for the younger ages, this is a hand’s on class. During this time students learn about different artists and their masterworks. Also, they get to build stage elements used in opera productions. A true “favorite”
Music Theory/Ear training
Through Ear Training and Music Theory students learn better pitch, harmony form, composers and their different styles, etc.
For parents to know:
• Arrival time 9:30 / Pick up time 1:30
• Parents provide transportation to camp and performance venues
• Parents are not allowed to observe classes. This serves students better
• Parents have the choice of packing lunch or purchasing an affordable lunch at Tunxis Cafeteria (please let us know if your child has any food allergies) *Note. The cafeteria is closed Fridays
• Students must have black folders with their name to hold orchestra and chamber music parts, a notebook, staff paper, and a pencil on the first day of camp
• Please bring a music stand to the performances only
• Please note that the 1st day August 10 is the audition day. All students must play a piece of their choosing (~ 5 minutes). This helps us to place students in the appropriate chamber music ensemble. You must wait till your child is done with their audition as there will be no classes that day. You can also send a recording (even from your phone) if you are not able to attend the audition.